Trust me …grab a pen and jot down this hearty but healthy chicken and rice low-calorie dish!
Sometimes I am straight up HUNNNNNNGRY! Like, give me a buffet line please. I feel like I could eat an elephant type of starving. This is either because you haven’t eaten all day (Bad!) or your metabolism is shooting through the roof! (Good!) Point being: sometimes we all need some food with substance! This dish features an option of brown rice to “beef it up” a bit. Don’t be afraid of rice …it’s ok to prepare a meal that is filling. Just balance it out and don’t over indulge. Bust out the measuring cups people! It’s just a little thing called portion control……
Mushroom and Chicken Low-Calorie Casserole
Aprox. Calories: 300 Calories (with brown rice) or 190 without.
Tunes to twang to while you cook: Miranda Lambert or Blake Shelton
Optional Attire: I happened to be wearing cowboy boots while I cooked this doozy up. Pretty sure it added the perfect amount of “kick” to the flavor if you know what I mean. Hahaha 🙂
Ingredients: Chicken Breast, Brown Rice (optional), Salt, Pepper, French Onion Soup Mix, A low-cal Cream of Mushroom Soup, Diced Onions, Fresh sliced Portobello Mushrooms, Peas & Broccoli.
Side Note: I used Frozen Peas & Broccoli but fresh works perfectly too!
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish to bake your chicken in with PAM or other non-stick spray.
- Place frozen or thawed chicken breast into the oven. (We will add spices later)
- Boil a pot of water for your broccoli and peas. Boil those and strain when they have softened and set aside.
- Dice up a desired amount of onion. Keep in mind that this is just to enhance the flavor with the French Onion soup mix you will be using. Don’t over do the onion taste, and if you are sensitive to onion flavor, just skip it. Set aside.
- Check on your chicken. If it about half way cooked, add a generous amount of pepper and sprinkle on a dash of salt. Take your dry French Onion Soup Mix and sprinkle it on top of each chicken breast. Place back into the oven to complete cooking.
- Begin to boil or (ugh I hate to say it….microwave..your rice) Follow the instructions on the box or bag of rice you bought. Once that is complete, strain or set aside.
- In a cooking pot (maybe one you just used for the rice or vegetables to boil) Add the diced onion, the Portobello Mushrooms, a bit of French Onion Soup Mix, Peas, and Broccoli to the rice.
- Open your can of Cream of Chicken Soup and add 1/4 to 1/2 of the can into the rice mix. READ AND WATCH THE CALORIE/PORTION on the back of the can. Place on stove top on low and stir occasionally. We are just trying to keep it warmed while you finish the chicken.
- Check the chicken! If it is completely cooked, slice into this strips and place on your mushroom & rice medley.
Note: I highly recommend using measuring cups to portion control the bed of rice you are using. Not full after you are done? Drink water or eat more of the chicken. Any left over rice could/can be used for other dishes. Remember: it’s all about the balance.
Say goodbye to your “mushy side” with this easy Mushroom & Chicken Dish – Enjoy!!!!